We held our meeting on the importance of faith – one of the topics closest to our hearts. In our meeting, Andria and I shared our testimony and discussed some of the ways that we have worked on keeping our faith strong over the years. We shared when “the light came on” for us and ways we try to keep in relationship with Christ in the busyness of day to day life. SMU members shared their experiences walking in faith and the struggles and blessings they’ve faced. It was wonderful meeting with a small group of women. Thank you to the moms who made it out!
Here is a recap of some points we covered:
What is faith?
Hebrews 11:1 – Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Many times we face challenges in life that seem impossible to overcome (family fights, anxiety, loss of a job, broken relationships, kids misbehaving). Having faith gives us peace and comfort knowing that God has a perfect purpose and plan for us. Having faith reminds us that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jerimiah 29:11
-Life isn’t always easy BUT trials do build character!
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. Romans 5:1-4
-Your circumstances do not define you.. GOD DOES! Whatever God says about you is who you are. You are His child!
-God will guide us
I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you. Psalm 32:8
Foundation of Faith:
Plant seeds of faith early on with your children. Teach them about faith and why it’s important to have a relationship with God, our creator. It will help them to have an optimistic outlook on life and will help when they experience their own struggles. Children may stray from the Lord during different stages of their life, but if they have the foundation and roots of faith they will always come back! Faith isn’t always “activated” right away. Sometimes a certain life experience will bring enlightenment / wisdom!
If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you. Luke 17:6
How to Grow Your Faith:
Grow / strengthen your relationship with God through:
- prayer (talking to God, seeking his will, giving thanks, and making requests)
- reading your bible “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ” Romans 10:17
- attending church / life groups (surround yourself with like-minded people)
-All of the above!!
If you feel a shift in your mood or faith.. Ask yourself…Why have I been disconnected? What is lacking that I can control? (ex: trusting in Him, etc)
-BE SPECIFIC IN PRAYER Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God – Phillipians 4:6
-Set “spiritual” goals and COMMIT – (pray 10 minutes in the morning, pray before bed, read 25 minutes during lunch break, attending a weekly life group etc)
Remember that…at times people will hurt you and disappoint you. God will not! Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you Deuteronomy 31:6
And remember… YOU’RE EXACTLY WHERE YOU NEED TO BE!
How do you hear from God?
– How do you recognize your child’s, parent’s, significant other’s voice? Because you have spent a lot of time with them… you’ve had lots of conversations with them. If you want to hear from God and be able to recognize His voice above the voice of others (yourself, the enemy, your peers), you need to really know him. We get to know someone by spending time with that person; by communicating often and getting to know their character and what they’re like. When you spend time with God and get to know Him by reading the word and communicating with Him through prayer, you’ll begin to be able to distinguish His quiet voice guiding you in your life. You’ll know how to tell the difference between your own worldly desires and the desires God has for your life. Spend time with God daily so you can hear from Him.
– Download YouVersion from the Play store/App store on your phone or tablet. YouVersion gives you access to daily scriptures, reading plans, many versions of the bible, and allows you to track your reading across platforms.
– On YouVersion, look in Reading Plans and find “Joyce Meyer – Promises for your every day life”. This is a great daily devotional that is very real and very relevant.
– Download The Life Church DC app. The Life Church is located in Manassas and the current serious is “FUNKTIONALITY – Don’t let your ‘Funk’ hijack your function. God wants to sharpen us, mold us, and transform us into something greater. He wants us to see a side of himself that we haven’t yet seen. And he wants others to see the amazing things he can do in our lives when we trust him with the mess.” This is a GREAT series and you can watch the sermons right on this app.
– We passed out bibles & devotional books at our meeting. If you would like a copy, please let us know.
I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.
ROMANS 15:13 NLT
Give your burdens to the lord,and he will take care of you.He will not permit the godly to slip and fall.
PSALMS 55:22 NLT
The lord is a shelter for the oppressed,a refuge in times of trouble.Those who know your name trust in you,for you, O lord, do not abandon those who search for you.
PSALMS 9:9-10 NLT
If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it.“Anyone who receives you receives me, and anyone who receives me receives the Father who sent me.
MATTHEW 10:39-40 NLT
Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!
JOHN 14:14 NLT
For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you.
2 CORINTHIANS 9:10 NLT
And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for.
1 JOHN 5:14-15 NLT
And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.
HEBREWS 11:6 NLT
I have seen the burden God has placed on us all. Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.
ECCLESIASTES 3:10-11 NLT
We’d be happy to personally talk to you about your journey of faith and getting to know Christ. Please contact us if you’d like to chat!